Shears, Steven Edward (2009) Investigation of life cycle management of electromagnetic flow meters. [USQ Project]
This project seeks to improve the current management of electromagnetic flow meters at SunWater customer’s irrigation offtakes in the Burdekin Haughton Water Supply Scheme.
SunWater is a water utility, the core business of which is to supply raw water for the agricultural, industrial and urban needs in the Burdekin, Bowen and Townsville regions.
The Burdekin Haughton Water Supply Scheme (BHWSS) is located approximately 100 kilometres south of Townsville in North Queensland.
Infrastructure Asset Management is the discipline of managing infrastructure assets to provide cost effective delivery of services. For SunWater, this entails capture, supply and distribution of raw water. Investment in water delivery assets is made on the basis that additional revenue will be recovered through improved productivity and delivery efficiency.
The metering of water use is a critical aspect of SunWater business to:
- monitor individual customer use against entitlement;
- bill customers for water use to obtain revenue: and
- determine water distribution efficiency of the system.
This dissertation details:
- the investigation and evaluation of the meters that are relevant to this project;
- a failure analysis conducted on electromagnetic flow meters in services in the BHWSS;
- the production of a reliability model that predicts the probability of failure of an electromagnetic flow meter in service in the BHWSS at a selected asset life;
- the recommendations to improve the reliability of the existing fleet and future installations of electromagnetic flow meters;
- the cost benefit analysis undertaken of setting up and maintaining a SCADA system whereby one meter coordinator can oversee the entire network
Statistics for this ePrint Item
|Item Type:||USQ Project|
|Item Status:||Live Archive|
|Depositing User:||epEditor USQ|
|Faculty / Department / School:||Historic - Faculty of Engineering and Surveying - Department of Agricultural, Civil and Environmental Engineering|
|Date Deposited:||23 Jul 2010 04:59|
|Last Modified:||23 Jul 2010 05:03|
|Uncontrolled Keywords:||SunWater; Burdekin Haughton Water Supply Scheme; water flow meters|
|Fields of Research :||09 Engineering > 0905 Civil Engineering > 090505 Infrastructure Engineering and Asset Management
09 Engineering > 0905 Civil Engineering > 090509 Water Resources Engineering
Actions (login required)
|Archive Repository Staff Only|