Assessment of the Shikarpur Pickle Value Chain

Khooharo, Aijaz Ali and Sun, Tim and Suthar, Velo (2014) Assessment of the Shikarpur Pickle Value Chain. European Academic Research, 2 (6). pp. 7714-7731.

Text (Published Version)

Download (450kB) | Preview


Pickles are one of the most important byproducts of unripe mangoes traditionally made at the household and industry level. Pickles are produced in Shikarpur, city of province of Pakistan and marketed all over the country. This study undertaken with the objectives to observe, document and evaluate the Shikarpur pickle value chain and to document the benefits to women/households that result from their involvement in pickle mango production. A sample of 27 key respondents (30% of total population) was selected for in-depth interviews to study Shikarpur pickle value chain. Besides, 150 consumers from 3 cities of Sindh namely Shikarpur (50), Hyderabad (50) and Hyderabad (50) were interviewed. Survey results revealed that profit margins for retailers was around 20%, share of mango pickles was around 60%, the highest consuming province of pickles was Balochistan (45%), number of labourers was as much as 300 workers during mango pickle manufacturing season starting from April to August. Significant role of females in pickle producing was recorded from the fact that 80% of the wage labourers were females. Wage rate offered to female labourers was Pak. Rupee one per one kg of unripe mango cutting. On an average, a female earned Rs. 300-350 per day. Consumers’ survey revealed that overwhelming majority (91%) of respondents was male. Total purchase of pickles per household was estimated at 7.25 kg/year; out of which 4.14 kg (57%) were consumed in household per year while remaining 3.11 kg per year (43%) were gifted to relatives and friends. Consumers’ preference survey revealed that pickles of Shikarpur were preferred because of popularity (famous) followed by soft pulp, attractive colour, low-priced, more varieties, better smell, more spicy, more shelf life, less acidic to throat and stomach problems.

Statistics for USQ ePrint 28869
Statistics for this ePrint Item
Item Type: Article (Commonwealth Reporting Category C)
Refereed: Yes
Item Status: Live Archive
Additional Information: Access to published version in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
Faculty/School / Institute/Centre: No Faculty
Faculty/School / Institute/Centre: No Faculty
Date Deposited: 27 May 2016 23:47
Last Modified: 28 May 2016 00:03
Uncontrolled Keywords: pickles; Shikarpur; value chain
Fields of Research (2008): 15 Commerce, Management, Tourism and Services > 1505 Marketing > 150503 Marketing Management (incl. Strategy and Customer Relations)
Fields of Research (2020): 35 COMMERCE, MANAGEMENT, TOURISM AND SERVICES > 3506 Marketing > 350605 Marketing management (incl. strategy and customer relations)
Socio-Economic Objectives (2008): B Economic Development > 91 Economic Framework > 9104 Management and Productivity > 910402 Management

Actions (login required)

View Item Archive Repository Staff Only