Raine, S. R. and Meyer, W. S. and Rassam, D. W. and Hutson, J. L. and Cook, F. J. (2005) Soil-water and salt movement associated with precision irrigation systems - research investment opportunities. Technical Report. Land and Water Australia , Canberra, Australia. [Report]
[Background]: The Board of the National Program for Sustainable Irrigation commissioned this scoping document to assist in its research investment deliberations. The key question addressed by this scoping study is: What has to be developed or modified to understand and monitor the
three dimensional flow of water and salt movement in:
(a) the root zone when precision irrigation systems are used, and (b) the soil profile, assuming that we are able to manage the preferred salt storage zones? The key issues which the NPSI Board requested should be addressed in the document were:
• What are precision irrigation systems and what are the problems currently being encountered in relation to water and salt movement in these systems?
• What is the potential size of production and water losses associated with inappropriate water and salt management under precision systems?
• What is the latest research and what current soil-water models are being used to investigate water and salt movement in soils, including their usefulness and gaps?
• How well we can manage where salt is stored under precision irrigation systems? and
• What is the effect of rainfall under various climatic zones in determining where salt is stored?
Statistics for this ePrint Item
|Item Type:||Report (Technical Report)|
|Item Status:||Live Archive|
|Additional Information:||CRCIF Report number 3.13/1. Cooperative Research Centre for Irrigation Futures, Toowoomba. Awaiting copyright advice.|
|Depositing User:||Assoc Prof Steven Raine|
|Faculty / Department / School:||Historic - Faculty of Engineering and Surveying - No Department|
|Date Deposited:||11 Oct 2007 00:58|
|Last Modified:||02 Jul 2013 22:42|
|Uncontrolled Keywords:||water movement; salt movement; precision irrigation systems|
|Fields of Research :||07 Agricultural and Veterinary Sciences > 0799 Other Agricultural and Veterinary Sciences > 079901 Agricultural Hydrology (Drainage, Flooding, Irrigation, Quality, etc.)|
Actions (login required)
|Archive Repository Staff Only|