Dowling, David (2011) A study of VET advanced diploma and HE associate degree programs in engineering. In: NCVER 2011: 20th National Vocational Education and Training Research Conference: No Frills , 13-15 Jul 2011, Coffs Harbour, Australia.
Text (Published Version)
This paper synthesises the outcomes of four research projects that explored different aspects of paraprofessional engineering education in Australia. The first study reviewed the AQF level 6 programs offered by Australian institutions in 2010: Advanced Diplomas and Associate Degrees. The second study reported on the results of an online questionnaire that gathered student perspectives on why they chose their program, their work experiences, and their career aspirations. The last two studies were government funded and reported on articulation pathways between VET and HE degree programs.
The paper concludes with a discussion of the key issues and the impact they have on students, educators and employers, including:
• The different learning and assessment approaches used in each sector and RPL granted in degree programs.
• The diversity of VET program structures resulting from the involvement of multiple Industry Skills Councils.
• The impact of Engineers Australia's new accreditation system – the international benchmark.
• The diversity of aims and admission requirements for these programs that ostensibly lead to the same occupation - Engineering Associate
• The finding that only16% of the students have a career goal to be an Engineering Associate, with more than half intending to articulate into a degree program.
Statistics for this ePrint Item
|Item Type:||Conference or Workshop Item (Commonwealth Reporting Category E) (Paper)|
|Item Status:||Live Archive|
|Additional Information:||No evidence of copyright restrictions preventing deposit.|
|Depositing User:||Prof David Dowling|
|Faculty / Department / School:||Historic - Faculty of Engineering and Surveying - Department of Surveying and Land Information|
|Date Deposited:||04 Jun 2012 01:58|
|Last Modified:||10 Nov 2014 01:03|
|Uncontrolled Keywords:||VET engineering; advanced diploma engineering; associate degree engineering; AQF level 6; student perspectives; student career aspirations|
|Fields of Research :||13 Education > 1301 Education Systems > 130199 Education systems not elsewhere classified
13 Education > 1302 Curriculum and Pedagogy > 130212 Science, Technology and Engineering Curriculum and Pedagogy
13 Education > 1303 Specialist Studies in Education > 130303 Education Assessment and Evaluation
|Socio-Economic Objective:||E Expanding Knowledge > 97 Expanding Knowledge > 970113 Expanding Knowledge in Education|
Actions (login required)
|Archive Repository Staff Only|