Experimental investigation of performance and emission parameters of a small diesel engine using CNG and biodiesel

Najafi, Bahman and Pirouzpanah, Vahab and Najafi, Gholamhassan and Yusaf, Talal and Ghobadian, Barat (2007) Experimental investigation of performance and emission parameters of a small diesel engine using CNG and biodiesel. In: 13th Small Engine Technology Conference 2007, 30 Oct - 01 Nov 2007, Toki Messe, Niigata, Japan.

This is the latest version of this item.

Abstract

The use of compressed natural gas (CNG) in diesel engines can be considered one of the optimum alternative solutions for reducing fuel consumption rate and exhaust gas emissions from diesel engine. CNG can ideally replace diesel fuel; 90% of the diesel was replaced by CNG, while remaining 10% was used as a pilot fuel. Biodiesel was used as a pilot fuel in this research. Methyl ester of sunflower oil was the main component of the biodiesel product. The results of the engine performance tests showed that increasing the biodiesel percentage in the pilot fuel reduce the combustion chamber peak pressure, and the exhaust engine temperature. The exhaust gas emissions CO and NOx concentrations were found to be low when biodiesel was used, however UHC was found to be higher.


Statistics for USQ ePrint 4018
Statistics for this ePrint Item
Item Type: Conference or Workshop Item (Commonwealth Reporting Category E) (Paper)
Refereed: Yes
Item Status: Live Archive
Additional Information: Permanent restricted access to paper due to publisher copyright restrictions.
Depositing User: Dr Talal Yusaf
Faculty / Department / School: Historic - Faculty of Engineering and Surveying - Department of Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering
Date Deposited: 27 Mar 2008 23:43
Last Modified: 02 Jul 2013 23:00
Uncontrolled Keywords: biodiesel, CNG, dual fuel, diesel engine, performance and emission
Fields of Research (FOR2008): 09 Engineering > 0902 Automotive Engineering > 090201 Automotive Combustion and Fuel Engineering (incl. Alternative/Renewable Fuels)
URI: http://eprints.usq.edu.au/id/eprint/4018

Available Versions of this Item

  • Experimental investigation of performance and emission parameters of a small diesel engine using CNG and biodiesel. (deposited 27 Mar 2008 23:43) [Currently Displayed]

Actions (login required)

View Item Archive Repository Staff Only